Saturday, October 31, 2009

The daily journey...

You are a on a personal journey each and every day of your life. You know this. It is one of those things that we here from peeps as we grow up. It is our time to grow into someone who thinks clearly and for themselves, one to change and become one who changes the world in our own way. Within those changes there a few items that I would like to touch on that you will need to keep in mind. The first is that of connections. Write down all the peeps you meet. Get a business card of each of these persons and when you are done speaking with them following the first time you meet, turn it over and write down all the info that you learned about them. You may never see them again, but if you do then yo will remember the conversation you had and have something to go off of. Think about it. What are you most concerned with when you meet someone for the first time? You are just hoping that you don't mess stuff up on your end and become very self-aware, which causes you to forget most of what the other person is saying. Many of these peeps will become your allies further down the road.


Just a couple of months ago I was going to be traveling a bunch around the states, so I figured out the places I was going to be and checked to see if I had any connections in each of them. Surprisingly, most of the states or cities that you vist you will know some peeps, you just have to do your due diligence to remember that they are there. Make time to see them, even if it is for a short time or a pop-by kind of time. It will make peeps feel that you care – but the catch is that you should not do it if you do not care. You must always be sincere. Back to my homie. I found out that I was going to be in his state. Up to this point in our friendship I hadn't a chance to meet his wife or newborn son so this would be a good time. So I took time to go to his house and do so. I was only there for a couple of hours. But it was important to me to make this connection with him and his family, as we are in the same line of work and he will be a forever friend – if I continue to take initiative.

"The right man is the one who seizes the moment."
~J.W. von Goethe

When the opportunity presents itself to you, take it. There is a lot to say about going out and getting something done. I knew that on my trip I was going to be tired. I knew that there were tons of cities and destinations within them in a very short period of time. But I knew that the importance of the stuff I needed to get done outweighed the energy I would expend to do that stuff. The journey is a long one and when you reach the ultimate destination of one or more of your goals it will be only because of the intentionality of the activity up to that point.


It is easy to stay home or in the back, but the fruit comes from doing your best and getting things done. So the next time you are wondering if you should do something, get on it! I am not saying don't pray. What I am saying is that if you start praying now for discernment then when you come to those decisions you will know what to do more often than not. You will begin to trust yourself and your judgment and feel the hand of God in your decisions. And that is why I pray for wisdom and discernment each day – and I am not kidding about that. Those are two parts of the end of every prayer I say in the morning when I rise and at nite when I hit the sack... and in between usually too. What are you praying for? Are you taking initiative? Are you an active part of your life's journey or are you just hanging back waiting for stuff to happen? Because I will tell you this. If you are always on the lookout and aware, you will be ready for the decisions on the journey, big and small.

No comments:

Post a Comment