Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Never Enough...

I spent an hour on the phone with Kevin Cobb today.  I actually scheduled the meeting about a week and a half ago with his office assistant.  I've learned over the last few years to get in good with whoever was in charge of his schedule.  I guess I could call him directly, and sometimes I do.  But, I have decided that I need to be respectful of his time.  In fact, today when we talked he already had a good idea of the things that I was going to bring up.  Between our conversations I usually send him a bunch of lengthy emails.  All of the stuff that's going on in my life.  All of the questions that I have.  All of the frustrations that I have.  All of the leadership questions that I have for him. 


Before I knew it, the conversation had already come to about 54 minutes.  How do I know that?  I called him exactly at 11 AM, when we had our meeting scheduled.  And at 11:54 he told me that he had another meeting that he had to get ready for.  I couldn't believe where the time went.

We pretty much only got to about 1 1/2 of the items that I wanted to talk to him about.  I usually set the stage with my questions for him, and then I just let him tell me the stuff that I need to change or get better at.  It makes me wonder how people can live life without a mentor.  I put so much time and effort into pursuing Kevin as my mentor that it is often frustrating because I know that no matter how much guidance he gives me, I am always left with wanting and needing more of his time. 



So I guess that's my question.  Who are the people in your life that you continue to pursue?  Kevin is probably one of the most humble people that I know.  The more I ask him his opinion and guidance, the more I understand that I need to be a leader like him.  Who do you need to be like?  And... what are you doing to make that happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment